In our last post I promised to discuss the quickest, most direct way to change your thoughts, emotions, and physicality.
This method does not require any special tools or apps. It’s not a hack. It’s not expensive, nor is it time-consuming. It’s the world’s most advanced anti-aging technology. And it’s accessible to you right here, right now, right where you are.
I’m talking about your breathing, of course!
Many people take breathing for granted. They don’t realize that their breathing can be one of the most powerful stress management, performance-enhancing, and anti-aging tools they will ever find. Many people breathe up in their chests. They rarely experience the wonderful, energizing sensations of taking a full, complete breath, one that fully expands the lower abdomen and back, thoracic area and chest. This type of complete breath feels great! And provides the following benefits (this is just a partial list):
- Enhances your physical and mental energy by bringing vital oxygen into your bloodstream, as well as ensuring you are exhaling more of the CO2 and other waste products out of your system.
- Releases negative, toxic emotions, memories, self-doubt, as well as tightness in your body.
- Helps bring your awareness into the present moment so you can focus better.
- Provides you with a sense of personal control, especially during difficult situations.
- Entrains other important autonomic processes, such as lowering your heart rate and blood pressure, slowing your breathing rate, reducing the level of cortisol (stress hormones), and facilitating fuller digestion and elimination.
You may think you don’t have time to breathe. You’re rushing, stressed, busy, on the move. But you can breathe any time and any place. Remember, as the Dalai Lama says, if you think you are too busy to meditate, that’s exactly the situation where you really NEED to meditate.
The same goes for breathing. When you “think you don’t have time” is exactly the time when you really need it! All it takes is a minute or two of full, relaxed, complete breathing, in and out through your nose, to completely change your state.
In fact, all it takes is 16 seconds – the time of the typical cycle of inhalation and exhalation – to transform yourself. Transformation not only at the conscious level, but transformation at the autonomic level…indeed, transformation all the way down to the cellular and sub-cellular level.
A wise karate master once said, “Breathing is the glue connecting the conscious and the unconscious”. Through your breath, you connect and ground your conscious self with your true self – that wonderful, fascinating, full-of-potential YOU. Complete breathing helps you transition from being overly conscious and critical of your performance (i.e., how do I look, how am I doing, do I sound dumb, etc.) to unconscious mental control, which is automatic, accepting, and trusting. Which helps you tap into the innate wisdom, energy, and capabilities inside you.
So give yourself the gift of breathing this holiday season. Leave the rushing, to-do’s, obligations, family issues, etc. aside. Take a little time out to breathe and go inside for a moment or two. Get centered, get relaxed. Consider and appreciate the power and the wonder of the season and the holidays.
Merry Christmas! Happy Hanukkah! And Best Wishes to you and yours.